R&D, health policy and the imminent needs of cancer patients do not stop with the pandemic. Powerful patient advocacy, patient engagement and patient input are more important than ever. CLLAN is currently implementing a series of digital workgroups that shall function as a digital alternative/accompaniment to the traditional CLL Horizons in-person capacity building model, providing topical CLL sessions as webinars rather than in an in-person CLL Horizons 2020. Some of them will be CLL-specific, while others will be open to the wider blood cancer advocacy community.
WEBINAR DD. 11 FEBRUARY 2021
On 11 February 2021, CLLAN (CLL Advocates Network) and ALAN (Acute Leukemia Advocates Network) ran a free webinar on COVID-19 vaccination and immune challenges for leukemia. The webinar targeted patient advocates in the area of CLL & acute leukaemia, and we were grateful to count on an international panel of experts from different areas of specialization (two clinicians, one regulator and one virologist):
- Professor Florence Cymbalista (France), Head Hematology Biology Department, Avicenne Hospital
- Dr Amit Patel (UK), Consultant in Cellular Therapies and Transplantation, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Haematology and Transplant Unit
- Dr Julio Delgado (The Netherlands / Spain), Seconded National Expert, Oncology Office, European Medicines Agency (EMA), Amsterdam / Department of Haematology, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
- Professor Uwe Gerd Liebert (Germany), Institute of Virology, Leipzig University, Leipzig
Among others, our experts gave advice on the following topics:
– Safety and efficacy of the COVID-19 vaccines in patients with immune challenges
– Roll-out of vaccines in the patient communities
– Specific challenges of CLL and Acute Leukemia patients
The meeting was moderated by Zack Pemberton-Whiteley (Chair – Acute Leukemia Advocates Network, ALAN) and Pierre Aumont (vice-chair – CLL Advocates Network, CLLAN).
Please click here to access the recording.
Please click here to view the slides: Full slide deck (all except acute leukemia expert´s slides) / Slides Dr Patel – acute leukemia expert
Thanks to all those who have contributed to this webinar, to our speakers for their excellent presentations and for their readiness in answering the many questions received, and to our audience for your interest and great engagement!
Our next webinar is already in planning. It will be on HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY BUILD AND DEVELOP A PATIENT GROUP. More details will be shared once they become available!